Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Evolution of the Series

Mountains - acrylic on 36" x 36" canvas.


Behold the Endless Journey - acrylic on 12" x 24" canvas.



Memories of the Bay - acrylic on 16" x 20" canvas.

There's a blend of abstract expressionism and the Bay Painters influencing me right now. Well, they always have, but they are really making themselves present in a louder way in my work. I feel like each of these paintings connects to landscapes but nothing literal, which is fun and freeing. I see elements of the sea, the countryside and mountains in each of these in different ways. It's really still all about color, composition and chemistry, but that whisper of a landscape sets me in the space in a sort of peaceful, zen way.

I look back at the history of my work and the phases of my life being expressed right along. The angst of youth, the frustration as well as the fear on a quest for answers, making sense of things. The curious exploration of self and others - it's all there, documented in my drawings and paintings. Now I really feel like I am in such a good place in my life. I've resolved certain issues and I'm still working on others, but I'm more confident and centered than ever. It feels GOOD to be centered. I think I used to worry that if/when I achieved any sort of balance in my life that my paintings would become boring, uninspired. Not at all! I'm more focused and the connection is deeper, more meaningful. I've got a lot of life yet to live and it will be interesting how my work evolves on this journey. Right now I feel connected to the brilliance of life and the quiet truths of the soul - I hope that this carries through in these paintings.

www.livefunky.etsy.com


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding work Jess! Thanks for sharing it with us. I am glad that you are happy with where you are in your life. :) Thanks for sharing this with us!
*HUGS*
Angela

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Your post reminds me of an old - a favored - art teacher. In a effort to help us become more technically proficient in our drawing, he would say, "Draw what you see and not what you know is there."

I understood the intent of this phrase in that moment, and my drawing improved. I still honor that phrasing in that original intention . . .

Yet my vision has shifted and grown and what I see is no longer so rigidly defined.

:)

Thanks for your thoughtful post and your beautiful expressions of your wolrd - as you see it.

Paula Manning-Lewis said...

I'm loving this new series, especially Mountains. Keep up the great work!

Jennifer Hayes Hugon said...

Hi Jessica! I found your work on Etsy and I think that this series is just STUNNING! The color use is amazing and the compositions evoke all sorts of lovely emotions.

I look forward to enjoying more of your work!

:)
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful, Jess!! So vibrant.