Friday, May 08, 2009

Finding New Ground



Pulse - Acrylic on 18" x 24" canvas, 2009
In this latest painting, I like the contrast of the horizon line that closely follow the lines of the texture vs. the rough surface of the bottom three quarters. As opposed to Horizon 2, this piece evolved pretty quickly and the moment to call it quits came surprisingly fast. For a moment I doubted it thinking, 'but-but-I haven't wrestled with this for days, it hasn't had fifty different lives before this one, is it really done??' but yes, it is. Not all paintings need to rip your heart out, stomp on it, then put it all back together again for you just when you've come close to giving up. Some paintings mess with you like that, others are eagerly awaiting completion and will help you get there any way they can. Those are very polite paintings. I'd invite them to a dinner party.

I've been thinking about the series that I sort of canned for now that was very thought out (was going to be called Relations - maybe it will resurface someday at the right time). I had sketched out all of these painting ideas and then when it came time to actually PAINT I was drawn in totally different direction. I do, however, have that painting Leaning (first painting of Relations) to thank for this new textural direction. It's hanging in front of me unfinished and that's just fine.

I think these new paintings are THE series - they came to me unexpected and deserve some kind of recognition as a group. Thinking about this yesterday as I was working on a bunch of new canvases (one is close to done - can't wait to share it!) I came up with the phrase "Finding New Ground". Part of this is a nod to the technical process - the painterly sense of "ground". It's also of course related to landscapes and my attempt to express a sense of space, teetering on the edge of reality and dreamworld/imagination. Lastly it's sort of a personal declaration, finding my own footing in this new phase of my life. Sensing changes, good changes, shifting priorities and desires, letting go of ways I've defined myself in the past and embracing the unknown of the present and the future.

Time to go back to the studio. Hope everyone is having a great day.

2 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I love how your write about these paintings!! And nothing wrong with some work being "easy" - just enjoy! :-D

Horizon Line 2 has a very clear sound to me, a buzzing strong note (I sometimes hear paintings).

Heather Jerdee said...

I'm liking these polite paintings. It is amazing how you can have everything mapped out with your art and the muse or whatever, steers us in a different direction. I'm enjoying your descriptions as well.:)