Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Showers


Summer Showers - 12" x 15.75" canvas


Today I finished this canvas I bought in Ireland last fall. It had been going in another direction so I decided to work over it with this technique, taken an extra step further by "whiting out" the negative space around circles instead of circle chains, as I've been doing. (See previous posts and the Connections series). I feel really free right now in the studio - able to take chances and go against what's familiar. I'm listening to those thoughts that inquire "what if I did this?" and answering, "I don't know, let's find out!". I'm working a little slower, more conscious and detailed. Of course, the effect I want is something dreamy and loose so the marks are more impressionist than hard lined - not sure if detailed is the right word, but that's how it feels.

I think this piece conveys the atmosphere I've been surrounded by all week - wet and misty, damp, heavy air, vivid greens and sparkles of dew drops. Of course I love a hot, blue sky summer day like the next girl, but these moody, rainy days have their own energy that is quietly comforting.

8 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
And it has a beautiful sound like crystals falling / sort of clinking expensive glasses along with tiny bells. Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

liked it right away Jessica. it reminds me of summer rain, just as the sun is coming out again.

Sherrill, Montreal

the art of curiosity said...

I LOVE this work!! I want to 'float' with it - to lie on the warm ground and look up at it - be enveloped by it - as if staring into a summer sky. This is the best way I can think of expressing the feelings it evokes in me. It's SO bewitchingly beautiful!

Many congratulations!

Jennifer xox

andrea said...

It's been awhile since I visited and I think your work has real;ly improved a lot. I love the symbols in a lot of them, particularly Joy in June (not sure of the name...?).

Guglielmo said...

I really like this abstract painting. I wish I had it in my apartment. It would look great in the living room. For some reason when I look at your painting I get happy. It's something about the colors you picked. This is oil paint on canvas right?

Unknown said...

Beautiful....I'm following you. Thanks for the lovely work. Pam:0

Unknown said...

I love all of these responses so much. Each one is telling me, in a new and different voice, that I am doing something right out there in that lonesome, but full of all the right energy, studio. I take these voices and perspectives with me and it carries me. I cannot thank you enough for all of your comments. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Unknown said...

Oh! And to Guglielmo - these are actually acrylic on canvas. :)