Saturday, November 14, 2009

Take me to the beach


wells beach, originally uploaded by livefunky.

The summer came and went and I never went to the ocean. I think this is a first. Now it's November and I'm lusting for a day spent walking on the sand, dipping in and out of the last of the lapping waves as I stroll down a long path of land and sea for as long as my feet want to take me... Watching the birds swirl and dip and listening to their calls. The pulse and steady beat of the steps of my feet, the space between breaks, and the improvisational chorus of everyone else participating in the moment, there, at the beach.

At the beach everyone understands an unwritten code - be and do what you want to do, this is a space we share. If you want to be childlike and enthusiastic build sand castles and hoot and yell catching gnarly waves! If you want to sit in an invisible version of your living room, no one's stopping you from having that rectangle of sand where you set up your massive operation. And if you want to sit and stare out to sea you can and no one will disturb you or ask or wonder why. It's understood why. It's the beach. Heck, in a lot of places you can be naked at the beach - talk about freedom! Even if you aren't in the nude, bathing suits are pretty close to it, right? The rules at the beach are so much different than the rest of the world and that's a good thing (thongs at work, no thanks) but there's nothing, NOTHING like a day spent at the beach.

Just thinking about it puts me at ease...

Till next summer (or hopefully sooner)...

2 comments:

belinda marshall said...

such a lovely description ~ i share your love! you have to wait so long to go again?
belinda

Heather Jerdee said...

I think I might spend this afternoon daydreaming about a beach.... That was a lovely description and I love your photo of the day below