Monday, August 23, 2010

Nude

Nude - Acrylic on 20" x 30" unstretched canvas, 2010

This piece and others like it (coming soon!) came about after getting frustrated with another painting that I took too far. I began to think about the various lives a painting lives before it becomes whatever it's destined to be. I wanted to see what would happen if I stopped as soon as I felt any instinct of yes, I like this. Usually I feel that cue many times in one painting but I keep pushing it. I've always loved how the white of the canvas interacts with color but so rarely stop in time for it to remain. This painting is quick, intuitive, improvisational and there is something that I think is very pure having this first impression captured in time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this painting really took my breath away. i love the lightness of it. aptly titled.

xo e