Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Pic of the Day: October 10, 2006

Land of the Wise
20" x 30" acrylic on canvas, 2006


Today I spent most of my time creating a new slideshow for the front page of my website. You can see it at www.jessicatorrant.com. This graphic design work is creative work, but I missed my paints.

I have been painting in the screened in porch at our house because I want to savor these warm days we've been having. When I walked out today, I saw this painting hanging there and finally knew what to do with it. It looked unfinished because it had a bland palette - only the range of blues, which proved to be less than exciting to look at. Today I saw it and thought PURPLE. All I did was blend a wash of purple into the bottom of the painting and a thin line at the top, and that was it - it was finished. So in a matter of literally a few minutes of painting, I had a new, finished work to show here! Funny how that happens... I have spent hours and hours painting over this particular piece, waiting for it to BE something, and sometimes all it takes is a little time away, and the simplest of solutions becomes clear.

No comments: