Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pic of the Day: October 7, 2006


 A Beautiful Disaster
14" x 18" acrylic on canvas, 2006
I created this painting after Moving Through The Light and you can see the connections between the two. In this piece I pushed the envelope a little bit further - breaking the boundaries of the boxes a little more, blurring and blending colors, and layering texture. This title has it's own personal meaning for me, which I won't get into, because I'd rather the title be a launching point for the viewer to interpret and personalize.

I have been GREATLY inspired lately by the new works of my friend in paint, Meghan Henley. www.meghanhenley.com . She is from Tennessee and we met virtually some time ago through our artist site, Artwanted, and in person at the Art 4 People Festival last year. We both have our own style, but we have A LOT in common when it comes to what we love to paint, how we love to paint, and the art we appreciate from others. In her latest paintings, she describes using more rounded forms in her composition to "soften" her work. The effect is a wonderful world of colors and forms that "breathe" on the canvas. Click here to see Softening III by M. Henley

I've been spending a lot of time looking at these paintings by Meghan thinking about why they work so well, and what they inspire me to do more of in my own work. The message I'm taking away from this is to never stop challenging myself to create something new, to push boundaries, and keep learning. My deepest thanks go out to Meghan for her friendship and inspiration...

1 comment:

Meghan Henley said...

Wow, Jessica! Thanks so much for writing such wonderful things about my recent works! I have always come to your work for inspiration and seeing that you also use me is such an honor!